Monday, March 14, 2011

My Kingdom for a Pole

After the new year and we were getting back to business, I realized that the city of Orono had not replied to our response.  It had been a full month and no contact in any form.  My turbine was due at the end of January and once more I was put in the position of having to beg my city to do something that is perfectly legal according to thier code, or proceed ahead with my project. 

The next step was to prepare my pole.  I purchased a 10+' length of 10" schedule 40 pipe, 1" plate for the base and flange, and 7/16" plate for the gussets.  We (Alias Dennis & I) cut the pipe to 10' and used a 'stand up' mill to cut the base plate, flange as well as the holes within them.  The gussets were cut on a band saw.  We decided to go with 6 oversize gussets instead of 4 as it was a cheap way to increase the strength of the pole.  Our buddy the welder put this assembly together straight and true.




I had my choice of paint, powder coat or galvanizing.  I chose hot-dip galvanizing as it was the most cost effective and durable alternative (they claim 100 years at the galvanizer).  So we loaded my 440 pound pole into the truck with three other poles prepared for a roof mount in St Paul.  The bottom of the poles is painted with an oil based paint to mask the pole, preventing the pole from being galvanized in the area where it is to be welded to the building.  The galvanize let off some dangerous fumes if welded to.






GreenMan

No comments:

Post a Comment